At Glenroy, our hope for a more sustainable global environment starts at home.
Glenroy considers environmental awareness and conservation a priority. Our organization has a dedicated team of professionals committed to looking for new ways to reduce our impact on the environment. Through our efforts, the employees of our companies and the communities in which we operate benefit through reductions in energy use, preservation of air quality, landfill waste reduction and, quite simply, a better living and working environment for everyone.
For decades, Glenroy has been dedicated to preserving the environment through air emissions control, energy conservation, and recycling initiatives. Good stewardship of resources has been a principle of Glenroy, Inc. since our company was founded in 1965.
Our culture promotes continuous improvement, and environmental awareness is one of the areas where we have made great strides.
Air Emissions Control
- We have significantly reduced our VOC emissions by switching our flexographic printing from an open-air decking system to a closed central-impression system. This prevents VOC’s from escaping into the ambient environment.
- Since 1989, we have destroyed over 98% of captured VOC emissions through the use of catalytic and regenerative thermal oxidizers. Our regenerative thermal oxidizers utilize high-efficiency heat exchangers to thermally destroy HAP’s and VOC’s.
- By installing energy efficient lighting in our manufacturing facilities, we have reduced energy consumption of lighting by 26%.
- Our electricity consumption has been significantly reduced in winter months through the utilization of a free cooling loop on our process chilled water system.
- We have reduced manufacturing process waste by 40%.
- Of our recycled press wash solvent, 80% is processed into reusable fuel.
- We recycle 70% of the solvents used in our printing processes.
- We Recycle
- between 40 and 50 tons of packaging trim scrap every two weeks.
- approximately two tons of paper every two months.
- approximately six 55-gallon drums of aluminum cans, plastic bottles, and glass containers every six weeks.
- approximately 300,000 pounds of wood pallets, sideboard, and packaging every year.
Through our recycling programs, more than 3 million pounds of materials are kept out of landfills and kept in the materials cycle every year.
Flexible Packaging Association
The Flexible Packaging Association (FPA) has served as the voice of the flexible packaging industry since 1950. The FPA is currently leading an industry effort to better understand all aspects of packaging sustainability, end-of-packaging-life programs, and resource recovery alternatives.
Sustainable Packaging Coalition® and How2Recycle® Label Program
The Sustainable Packaging Coalition (SPC) is a membership-based collaborative that believes in the power of industry to make packaging more sustainable. The SPC is the leading voice on sustainable packaging and is passionate about creating packaging that is good for people and the environment.
How2Recycle is a standardized labeling system that clearly communicates recycling instructions to the public. It involves a coalition of forward-thinking brands who want their packaging to be recycled and are empowering consumers through smart packaging labels. Learn more at how2recycle.info.